Monday, January 30, 2012

Killswitch Engage – Alive Or Just Breathing (2002)



  1. Numbered Days
  2. Self Revolution
  3. Fixation On The Darkness
  4. My Last Serenade
  5. Life To Lifeless
  6. Just Barely Breathing
  7. To The Sons Of Man
  8. Temple From Within
  9. The Element Of One
  10. Vide Infra
  11. Without A Name
  12. Rise Inside
As some sort of gay introductory thing, Elliot wanted me to review a punk record or something. I’m not as into punk as he is, and I’d just end up waffling about shite, so I’ll stick with what I know.

Killswitch were one of the earliest bands I was introduced to. I was about 15, I think Howard had just joined the band – The End Of Heartache hadn’t even been announced yet. I picked up Alive Or Just Breathing on a whim and was instantly sold.

One thing makes this album stand the test of time for me – it still feels refreshing to this day. Putting on Fixation On The Darkness or Life To Lifeless still feels as entertaining as it did when I first heard the album. There’s that sort of familiar uncertainty every time you listen, where you find yourself lost in the song.

The Element Of One was always my favourite as a kid, but I think I’d have to take Rise Inside away with me if I had to choose today. The slow rising tempo, catchy hooks and – well just how much goes on in that song! The musicianship in this album was unreal.

A lot of people claim after Jesse Leach’s departure the quality of the band went south. Regardless of your opinion, AoJB was one hell of a record to try and follow up either way – especially when it nestled it’s way into so many fans hearts.


As an aside, on Numbered Days it’s always sounded to me as if Jesse’s saying “Gay Dogs Will Rise.” Luckily for us, that doesn’t seem to have happened. Yet.

3 comments:

  1. ah yes the one metalcore album that all new bands try to rip off. haven't played this in ages. i remember getting into this in 2008 i think. my sister's boyfriend baught it and let me listen. i really do like this record. i should put this back on. nice job bishop! btw i was gonna do this one at some point. i'll just say that i really like the drums on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it is one of those albums that everyone seems to copy, for good reason I guess but they never seem to sound passionate enough. The entire album is tight as hell, such a brilliant record.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just like korn's first album. all the nu metal wankers try to do what they did but it just doesn't sound good enough. yes i like korn's first album. though the lead singer crying was a bit much. i understand it was very painful to sing about but you couldn't have cut the recording off? anyway kse never topped this. as much as i like them they never did

    ReplyDelete

leave a fuckin comment!

Blog Archive

Contributors