Wednesday, May 7, 2014

hail of rage fucking pissed 7 ep

I've been on a record search tonight, wondering what I should review next. I just got the new rf7 record in the mail but I need to give it a few listens first. so here I was on fuckbook when a member of one of the best local bands around happy pill trama posts this 7 inch. she said that you could feel the rage. consider my interest peaked. rage is good. the name was a tad laughable as are most new punk bands and the record title was straight to the point. I thought I'd get basic and raw as fuck hardcore, the kind that got me into this thing. think chaotic dischord but worse musicians. what I actually got was what the kids today call powerviolence, which I consider a laughably stupid name. it's just hardcore punk to me. anyway I was surprised. like with every pv band this band has a lot of tempo changes and some pretty technical (for punk standards) drum parts. and a 2 guitar attack. basic pv, enough to get me in the mood for about 20 beers. but what it didn't have...the rage....nowhere. gone. now when I think of rage the first person that comes to mind is john Brannon of negative approach. that dude's voice is so powerful after the first song oon a na record or live recording I'm hooked and I don't know if I should mosh or punch someone. the fact that no one is usually around is a good thing I think. or bands like fear of god with Erich's evil as fuck vocals. this...this sounds like the singer is annoyed at something, maybe he's had a bad day, maybe the football teem lost or he's behind on a house payment. this doesn't sound like the tortured shouts of a man forced to homeless by the capitalist scum. not in the slightest. don't get me wrong it's better than whoever that band was that did the song punching holes in the world that singer just dispassionitly talked his way through the song (blablabla punching holes in the world, can I go now) but...I just don't hear the white hot rage of 80s hardcore bands. this guy's good but he should change the title of this to slightly annoyed and hail of rage to hail of grumbling. it's a good record, strong musicly but the main selling point is the anger (don't pretend it's not) maybe if they turned the vocs up in the mix and maybe if the producer smacked the singer around a few times with raw meat we'd get a better performance. here's a tip for the singer for this band. when you're about to record, touch a very hot pot with your bare hands. that way you'll make a convincing record

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a fuckin comment!

Contributors